Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Learning to Lean

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding” Just a couple of weeks ago, I did an object lesson for the kids at Living Hope to teach them Proverbs 3:5. Trusting...Fully Relying On God...Little green frogs...Leaning on the Lord instead of myself... It’s easy to teach, but hard to learn.

It seems that no sooner than God teaches me some new thing (so that I can teach others, I think), than He expects me to put it into practice in my own life! About ten minutes after I had finished writing out the lesson, I got an email that really rocked me. Discouragement hit like a avalanche. Then depression came as an aftershock, and it was a couple of days before I realized that God had already given me the weapon I needed to overcome it. He had never left me defenseless, even when I felt forsaken.

Trust is a conscious act of the will, a deliberate choice, realizing that my own understanding is flawed and placing myself in the hands of One who has perfect understanding. As I’d told the children, our reliance is not to be in ourselves, in other people, in money, in “stuff”. God wants us to rely fully on Him...and sometimes the only way He can get us to do that is to take away some of the props we are leaning on.

Then He reminded me of that as I was leaving the Walmart parking lot a few days later...and the license plate on the car in front of me said PROV3 6. In the entire state of Wisconsin, there is only one license plate with that verse, and I followed it for miles.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.”

Do you really think God doesn’t know what you’re leaning on?

No comments: